We ask ourselves constantly..."When do I teach?" I have been teaching for 5 years now and I can say within that 5 years there have been plenty times when my lessons was...."shot to H*!!" I look around at the 12 kids sitting in my classroom and they say "Can we just listen to music?" AHHHH! What do I do, what do I do? Any true good teacher understands a day wasted of no educational content, is well....a day wasted! We are already under so much pressure to get through the content and then THESE things happen...shoot me in my freakin' foot!
I am here today to share with you some of my "Emergency Activities" for when things like this happen! I learned my first year of teaching when I looked at the remaining half my class and I heard the ever-so-popular "Are we going to do anything in here today?" I knew I had to prepare for these days. FROM THE BEGINNING, you have to preach and teach to your kids that EVERYDAY will be valued and YES, you will be learning and doing SOMETHING today!
So here it is my Top 5 "Get Your Crap In Gear, Your Butt Is Doing SOMETHING Today" Activities... :)
1. Circle Conjugation Game: Get the kids in a circle (they can sit down or stand up), put infinitives on the board, and make them go around and conjugate in order (yo, tu, el, ella, etc.)---I want to apologize for the no accents. Spanish teachers are clinching their teeth together after seeing that! When it comes your turn, you don't know the conjugation, big fat buzzer---you're out. It will come down to two kids going back and forth. IT CAN GET INTENSE! You can also do this with counting or category vocabulary sets!!! :)
2. El Cuerpo: This takes a little pre-planning. Take thick paper (cardstock is the best) and put two body parts on each card. You'll need about 10 to 12 cards. Ask for two volunteers to come to the front. Whatever card you pull out of the basket is what two body parts they have to touch together. BE CAREFUL AMIGOS! I usually say 2 guys or 2 girls because it will get physical....but funny!
3. Youtube Vids on Hand: Take time to develop an emergency youtube CULTURAL/EDUCATIONAL video list...of course they will ask you can we watch "Ridiculousness" or something totally non-content...just say no!
4. Conjugation Board Race: Two teams of 5 or 6 (vosotros)...so 10 or 12 kids. Have them face each other. Ones at the top of line holds a white board on each team. Say an infinitive, and they have to conjugate and pass until the last dude or dudette has conjugated. Whoever is the fastest...wins!
5. Nerf Ball Goal Review: I keep a nerf goal in my room for emergencies like these. Days of chaos or schedule change...conduct a 2 or however many teams review game. Give each team a point for answering and an additional point for making the shot. If they steal, they can take away OTHERS points!
So these are just scratching the surface BUT...it may save you from a day of chaos, schedule modification, and lesson melt-down.
Enjoy & Steal!!!