So here in the big (actually small) AC, we are getting ready to switch trimesters. This means 4 of my classes are already OVER (for the first 1/2). Yes, at the beginning of November. Now, I'm not going to make this post a rant about the trimesters because that's a new day, a new post, and probably a new blog BUT...I have realized..it's time to review!
I always get anxiety over what style, technique, activities, etc. do I use to review. Sometimes I feel like I give the test to kids on a silver platter and then I try to justify that if I don't study with them a few days before the exam, they just won't study at all.
I have compiled a few ways to "Review" with your kids and keep it interesting...feel free to steal and use:
1. Group Up & Create Flash-Cards: This is easy...you tell the kids to get together in a group, and create flash cards (I usually make each kid make about 20). Then after all that is over, they can partner up and quiz each other. I usually assign a small grade for creating their flashcards and some, ACTUALLY take them home to study! Wowzers. You can also use these for later activities incorporating the whole class.
2. "Join My Team" FlashCard Challenge: This game is fun and a good time-filler. You have the kids pull out their flash cards they made for the test. You make 2 kids the leaders...they are trying to see who can get the most people on their team before the other student does. Each person they call to join has to answer a "RANDOM" flashcard question. If not, they go to the other team. It can get interesting...only downfall: the students will blatantly call on all the "smart kids" first so it really displays your top kids versus lower kids but you can add in modifications to prevent this.
3. Mock Exam: This one might not be as "fun" but if you are truly curious where your kids are...this is great. I have a PPT prepared:
and this PPT is the ultimate review. When I have done mock exams, it's usually with my mixed learner classes where I am confused if they are ready or not. Since this is just for fun and I give participation for completing, I let the kids fold down their name at the top, and then I give random papers to kids to check. Some will get 100 on the mock and they are READY for the exam, ahhh, this makes you feel better.
4. A game with a Nerf Net: I bought a simple $8 Nerf Net and Ball I keep in my room for review games. Pretty simple, divide up into teams (however many you want) and each team has to answer a question to shoot, 1 point for the correct answer, 1 point for the shot, if they mess up, another team can steal and take away the point. You can create your own rules but I find this is fun to do with the kids.
5. Baseball Game: this involves some pre-planning. Set up the class as home, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. A kid can pick a single, double, triple, or a homerun. If he/she picks a single and get it right, they advance on to 1st and the next kid picks their selection. When there are 3 wrong answers, time to switch out the teams. Kids really love this one too!
Well these are my top 5 and there are SOOO many more.
Feel free to use my PPT review for any of your games, activities, or to do a mock exam. IF you don't want the kids to prepare flash cards, you can use the questions from my PPT.
Feel free to share your awesome review games in the comment section!