Friday, February 22, 2013

Grab It Game - Modified for Conjugation

I was so inspired by the success of the "Grab It Game" I started to think of how I could change it up to fit other concepts and boy was I onto something.

Once again many thanks to my co-worker and awesome Spanish teacher, Marie Stevens, for telling me all about "Grab It Game". My kids are continuing their conjugation practice and I am currently focusing on -AR/-ER/-IR conjugations. The kids are getting good with certain words such as I and you but they still get confused on some endings....so here is what I did....



To play the game:
1. Divide the room up into two even teams.
2. Assign a student numbers for each teammate and make sure each student has a matching "opponent"
(For example there should be #1 for Team A and Team B.)
3. Have a small white board, marker, and eraser ready. 
4. Take an object in the classroom that you have alot of (at least 6 or so).
5. Make signs for the endings....o, as, a, amos, an (and if you teach vosotros) and tape them to the objects. I chose sombreros because you can buy them for a 1.00 at Dollar Tree.
6. Line them up and let the games begin....

Now...I am a very interactive hands on type of teacher. I love to see my students get into games and be competitive. If you haven't learned already, I am a former athlete/competitor and this often comes out in my classroom. My favorite students when playing these games are my aggressive kids who keep asking to get there number called.

Be sure to set some rules up at the beginning so no one gets hurt but here's how it goes....

1. STAY OUT OF THE WAY! I have a stool and I get my white board, a marker and I go sit on my stool OUT OF THE WAY. (I learned the hard way)....:(
2. Write down ANY infinitive...if you are working on -AR...write Hablar, Llegar, Mirar....ones that they know.
3. Write the verb down and show them...call out the subject pronoun...and then....here we go....the #....and you will see your students FLY out of their chairs and race up to the front to grab the certain hat that matches their subject pronoun. 
4. I give an extra point if they can put it all together and say the word "Hablar "Yo" = "Hablo"

Another thing is...some students will FLY out of their chairs that the opponent won't even try so I created a rule that even if you try...if your opponent gets it wrong...they are automatically rewarded the point. That gets them ALL trying at least :) 

You can change this up to fit any conjugation tense and any category of items.

God Bless -
Brittany B.

6 comments:

  1. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing. I can see my students flying to the front of the room already...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really fun! Some classes get REALLY into it that I have to set hard core rules but they absolutely love it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A way to avoid the dangers of running, falling, pushing etc., write the elements on 2 sides of the Board and have 2 people stand with their backs to the board. Call out your cues, and then they turn around and erase or cross out - first to do so wins.

    I had to stop all of the running type games due to rough housing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this idea! thanks :) and God's blessings on your new baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Gracias por compartir con nosotros.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun idea! Thank you so much for sharing it. I'm certain my students will enjoy playing.

    ReplyDelete