Friday, May 9, 2014

Culture in Music

One of the best classroom management strategies I have is using music. Everyday I play an artist that represents a Spanish singer. I mix it up with Country, Rap, Salsa, Cumbia, and more.  Instead of just playing the music...I like to introduce the artist on Monday and give some information over the artist (where they are from, how old, languages they speak). Throughout the week I will play songs of that singer. 


Here's my classroom management tip: I am always playing music while the students are switching classes. I am out in the hall welcoming my students in and using this time to ask Spanish questions. My students usually love to talk to me and try to answer Spanish questions. My rule is...when the bell rings I am IMMEDIATELY coming into my room and shutting the door. I am then making my way to my desk to turn off the music. IF you are not in your seat by the time I turn off the music, you are considered tardy and points will be deducted from your weekly participation grade. 



AMAZING!!!!!! It works! You HAVE HAVE HAVE to stay consistent with it and do it everyday. There have been a few days where I got side-tracked and didn't get the music going and it made a huge difference. It broke their routine, their stability. From now on, I keep a loaded you-tube page up on computer with the daily song ready to go. 



Here's a list of popular artists I play that the kids 

1. Shakira
2. Ricky Martin
3. J-LO
4. Prince Royce
5. Fanny Lu
6. Enrique Iglesias
7. Santana
8. Paulina
9. Celia Cruz
10. Marc Anthony
11. Alejandre Pires
12. Juanes 

No comments:

Post a Comment